… is a flowering Dogwood – the provincial flower of British Columbia.
The purpose of this web-site:
The first, and more general purpose of this web-site is to help publicize my research efforts, and thereby encourage and facilitate collaboration with other international business (IB) researchers. While I obviously have to be somewhat selective in who I collaborate with, I encourage any inquiries from serious researchers in the field of international business.
The second, and more specific purpose of this web-site is to make available to other international business researchers, the various indicators of psychic distance which were first cited in a paper I presented at the July 2004 Academy of International Business annual conference in Stockholm. This paper was subsequently published in the Journal of International Business Studies (v37-5, 2006, pp 578-602). In 2010, these scales were expanded to cover a total of 120 countries. I myself have used these scales in 6 different empirical studies articles to date. In addition to that, other researchers have used these scales (or portions of them) in over 90 published articles covering more than 35 different journals, including:
- Entrepreneurship Practice and Theory
- Global Strategy Journal
- International Business Review
- International Marketing Review
- International Journal of Financial Studies
- International Journal of Cross Cultural Management
- Journal of Banking and Finance
- Journal of Business Research
- Journal of International Business Studies
- Journal of International Marketing
- Journal of Management Studies
- Journal of World Business
- Management International Review
- Research Policy
While all of these indicators are variations (to greater and lesser degrees) of already publicly available data, some of the manipulations to achieve composite difference scores amongst nations are quite substantial; and I believe there is value in making them available from one source. Researchers are encouraged to download these data sets and use them in their research, provided it is appropriately acknowledged and referenced.